Congratulations to all the Moms-to-Be on your new journey of becoming a mother! If you’re searching for a facial during pregnancy, we’ve got you covered. A new skincare routine and a facial while pregnant can be an enjoyable experience to break up the daily stresses on your body and soul. A facial during pregnancy is safe if performed by the right professionals.
Here are a few skincare tips on what to use and avoid while pregnant and nursing.
1) SUNSCREEN: If the beach and sun call your name even when pregnant, be sure to use sunscreen every step of the way. Mineral-based sunscreens, also known as physical sunscreens, are perfectly safe for pregnant women. The difference between chemical sunscreen and physical sunscreen is the latter contains 100 percent mineral actives, such as titanium dioxide or zinc oxide. Plus, physical sunscreens reflect UV rays, as opposed to absorbing them like chemical sunscreens are known to do. The Supergoop brand has a great mineral SPF moisturizer.
2) ACNE PRODUCTS: Due to hormones, many women experience acne and breakouts during their first trimester of pregnancy. It is important to avoid all acne-focused products because of the chemicals. If you must use a face wash, use one that has only 2% salicylic acid. The Sanitas brand is paraben-free, especially the soap-free Beta Clarifying cleanser, and gently strips the skin of the excess sebum.
3) SOY PRODUCTS: Soy is known to even out skin tone, but not Melasma (mask of pregnancy) due to elevated hormones. Unfortunately, soy makes the dark patches a lot darker. So, lay off on the Soy moisturizers until after you go to bed. Stick to using SPF and keeping your skin hydrated with a serum. The Revision Hydrating Serum is excellent and high in hyaluronic acid. When your skin is hydrated, it is less likely to break out or become uneven.
4) HAIR REMOVERS (depilatories): Hopefully, you’ve been avoiding hair removal lotions before now. It is definitely a no-no during pregnancy. However, here at Silver Mirror, we offer dermaplaning! Dermaplaning during pregnancy is a perfect alternative to other hair removal solutions. Any of our highly-skilled estheticians will use a scalpel to work away at the dead skin cells and peach fuzz on the skin. After dermaplaning, your skin will look great with or without makeup, and skincare products will work a whole lot better. Dermaplaning is one of the best treatments at Silver Mirror for moms-to-be.
5) MAKEUP: Avoid cosmetics that contain retinol or salicylic acid (found in some makeup for acne-prone skin). Many makeup products are marked “non-comedogenic” or “non-acnegenic” – meaning they are oil-free and less likely to clog pores; these are safe and will not affect your baby’s health.
6) RETINOIDS: Retinol, also known as Vitamin A, is used for anti-aging and preventing/reducing wrinkles. Pregnant women should avoid this product because a high dose of Vitamin A can harm your unborn child.
7) SALICYLIC ACID: This is usually found in acne-focused cleansers, toners, and other acne-fighting products to exfoliate dead skin cells. High uses of salicylic acid in its oral form (oral salicylic has been related to aspirin) can cause birth defects. But the topical use of only 2% once or twice a week is considered safe. Regardless, please be careful with salicylic acid at any dose while pregnant.
8) ALL TRIMESTERS: A facial during the first trimester is just as safe as a facial during the third trimester if performed by skin professionals. At Silver Mirror, we have carefully worked with the top industry professionals and skincare lines to deliver a safe, enjoyable experience for facials and pregnancy. A pregnant facial, as some call it, should only be provided by a the best facial bar.
As with all tips, consult with your esthetician to be sure they fit your skin and body. And, of course, don’t forget to take advantage of our 30-minute Mom-To-Be facial at Silver Mirror to help deal with any skin-related pregnancy issues. All of Silver Mirror’s facials in New York, D.C., and soon Miami are personalized to fit each person’s needs so they emerge from our offices with glowing and healthy skin.
All products mentioned above are on our online store at SilverMirror.com. Any product over $50 gets shipped to you for FREE!